Follow The Glass Chronicles

Thursday 4 July 2013

Chapter Six. Reflections.






The Glass Chronicles

Reflections. Part I.






One of the most interesting things about going public with The Glass Chronicles is the way in which different people respond and outwardly react to it. As you might expect, there are certainly clear indications of what I see as pre-established mindsets, and regardless of the view or position that a person might take, I can usually find a piece of their thinking within myself. 

    Often I’m asked the question, “Do you honestly think you were talking to spirits?”, and the colour in the voice of the enquirer usually says more, much more, than the words themselves. It’s the tone in the voice that I usually taylor my response to above anything else - in both opinion and in length, and either with a straight, or with a more pragmatic answer. 

    Some people already believe. Some will never believe. To be truthful, I’m not convinced it makes much difference either way. With that in mind the principles of Taoism are worth taking note of in so far that believing in gods and deities is not a requirement. In monotheism and polytheism, the recognition of a god, or multiple gods appears central to the very practice of those religions, as though there is, taking place, an essential element of judgement of, or upon, the individual.   

    Of course, belief in a creator, and in a spirit realm, as the above might illustrate are not always synonymous with each other. But what is of particular interest to me is how any position of objective certainty can be reached at all on something that’s not in any way measurable outside of the subjective experience. And that curiosity is not only limited towards those people with spiritual or religious beliefs, but equally to those who use the principles of science and modern day rationale to arrive at a conclusion that they feel confident enough to stick with. 

    It was like a breath of fresh air when I was discussing the arrangements for my Mother’s funeral with the Anglican minister who would conduct the service; in expressing the strong reservations I have towards some of the core beliefs in the Christian church, particularly those pertaining to heaven and hell, he responded with the statement, “The truth is, nobody really knows”. Now, I admire that kind of honestly. So my next question might be, “does knowing, or not knowing actually matter?”. And to be honest, I don’t see how it–thinking that you do know–can ultimately be of any importance - that is, other than perhaps providing a sense of comfort. 

    It could be valid to argue that something either exists or it doesn’t, and whatever I or anyone else cares to believe or not to believe is of no significance as to that thing’s existence or nonexistence. 

    I am aware though that the above statement cannot be made without acknowledging the concept I’ve heard expressed more than once, the concept that reality is shaped by our beliefs. And there are many examples of this - as in the part belief plays in the creation, let’s say, of new technology, in music and art, and even in war. Much of what we do day-to-day is carried out with a projected belief in specific outcomes.  

To be continued ...





No comments:

Post a Comment